Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Sour Cream Coffee Cake



It has been a while since I've shared a recipe with you here on the blog. I tried a new recipe for a pound cake last week that I had high hopes for, and even photographed, but it was only okay and I couldn't in good conscience recommend it. Very sad. This coffee cake, on the other hand, I can heartily recommend!


My husband's parents and grandmother visited us this past weekend, or more accurately, visited their new grandson I should say. Ha! Anyway, I made this coffee cake to have on hand for a breakfast treat. Yum!

The recipe comes from my trusty Betty Crocker cookbook. I was so excited when I made this because for the first time in the history of my fluted bundt pan, the entire cake came out intact! No patchwork necessary! The only change I made to the recipe was to double the glaze. What can I say? I like a lot of frosting. :)


Sour Cream Coffee Cake from Betty Crocker 
serves 16

INGREDIENTS

BROWN SUGAR FILLING
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

COFFEE CAKE
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cups butter, softened
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups sour cream

GLAZE
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
2 to 3 teaspoons milk

PREPARATION

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom and sides of a 12-cup fluted tube pan.

In a small bowl, stir filling ingredients until well mixed; set aside. In a large bowl, stir flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt until well mixed; set aside.

In another large bowl, beat granulated sugar, butter, 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla and eggs with electric mixer on medium speed two minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat about one-fourth of the flour mixture and sour cream at a time alternately into sugar mixture on low speed until blended.

Spread one-third of the batter (about 2 cups) in pan, then sprinkle with one third of the filling; repeat twice.

Bake about 1 hour, or until toothpick inserted near center comes our clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan on wire rack. Remove from pan to wire rack and cool 20 minutes. In small bowl, stir all glaze ingredients until smooth and thin enough to drizzle. Drizzle glaze over coffee cake. Serve warm or cool.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

It sounds yummy! A great treat when visiting a grandson :-)

Amy said...

This cake looks so lovely with the glaze!! Beautiful :)